Cole Valley Residence
In seeking a more harmonious lifestyle, a professional couple with three teenage children hired 450 Architects to renovate and expand their home and garden. Central to the client’s desire was to create a tranquil garden that would offer a respite from the busy urban surroundings. Through the use of natural materials, the careful relationship between interior and exterior spaces, and the visual and auditory delights of a waterfall and luxuriant garden, the client’s home was transformed into a private sanctuary within the bustling city.
- House delineated into three distinct zones to maximize tranquility: living spaces at street level, teens’ bedrooms on the top floor, and a master suite at the rear garden level
- New kitchen and other living spaces overlook the patios and the garden
- Garden landscaped with native plants and a meditative stream that flows through a series of sculptural pools
- Sounds of waterfall can be enjoyed from both inside and outside the house
- Expansive windows and full glass doors allow the interior spaces to connect with the natural beauty outside
- Warmth and serenity developed in part through sensuous materials, including oil-rubbed wood finishes, small glass mosaic tiles, limestone counters, natural slate flooring, cedar siding and copper trim”